Learn English Online Forum Index

?FAQFAQ? ?SearchSearch? ?MemberlistMemberlist? ?UsergroupsUsergroups? ?RegisterRegister?
?ProfileProfile? ?Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages? ?Log inLog in

These two sentences contain relative clauses:

Post new topic Reply to topic Learn English Online Forum Index -> LEARN ENGLISH -> GRAMMAR AND TENSES
Previous topic :: Next topic
topenglish

Masculin

PostPosted: 3rd June 2007, 09:31 Post subject: These two sentences contain relative clauses:

These two sentences contain relative clauses:

My sister who's a nurse moved to Italy.
This sentence contains a defining relative clause. I have more than one sister and it is needed to tell you which sister I am talking about.
My sister, who's a nurse, moved to Italy.
This sentence contains a non-defining relative clause. It just adds information, but could be omitted without loss of meaning. Such clauses are more common in written English.

The small words which join relative clauses are called relative pronouns. For things we use which; for people, who; for places, where; for times, when etc.

In defining relative clauses that can replace which and who in informal English. Eg Tim's the person who's responsible for catering = Tim's the person that's responsible for catering.

In defining relative clauses we can omit the relative pronoun if it is the object in its clause. Eg Can I borrow the CD which/that you played at your party = Can I borrow the CD you played at your party. (Can I borrow the CD. You played it at your party).

Complete these sentences using which / who / when / where / whose / that / nothing:

There’s the woman _________ taught me English.
Do you know a pub _________ sells cheap beer?
Do you know a shop _________ I can buy a computer?
The police haven’t found the person _________ killed Jill Dando.
Jack Smith, _______ book "English made simple" sold a million copies, died today.
The language ________ people speak in Algeria is called Arabic.
Ted, _________ fixes my car, has just won the lottery.
This is Joe Bloggs, _________ works in Greenwich.
I’d like to speak to the person _________ deals with accounts.
I hate it ________ my boss asks me to work overtime.
Have you got a typewriter _________ I can borrow?
The job ________ he got wasn’t very interesting.

Visit poster’s website
Publicité

PostPosted: 3rd June 2007, 09:31 Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic Reply to topic Learn English Online Forum Index -> LEARN ENGLISH -> GRAMMAR AND TENSES All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Your Ad Here
Index | Administration Panel | Getting a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation